W. Wearne & Son was founded in 1890 by William Wearne in the industrious town of Camborne and is one of Cornwall’s oldest established business’. William Wearne began by repairing timepieces in his parents’ kitchen in Centenary Street, Camborne. He opened his first store in Trelowarren Street, moved to Market Square by 1894 and to 16 Commercial St. site in 1910. He opened a store in Hayle at the turn of the century for a short period of time and expanded by opening his third store in Helston in 1914 which remains to this day in Meneage Street.
Serving the industrious community in the centre of the Cornish Mining Industry, Wearne’s rapidly became a household name.
Around 1920 – 1950 Wearne’s had their own range of hollowware manufactured (tankards, candlesticks, teapots etc) made from Cornish Tin. In 1937, during King George VI Coronation Tour of England, he visited Camborne and was presented with a Wearne’s Cornish Tin Commemorative Tankard by the Chamber of Commerce.
Many items of this very special historic Cornish Tin still survive – in the back of our grandparents cupboards or at Car Boot Sales – and can even be purchased on eBay! Examples can be seen on display within Wearnes stores today.
In September of 2012, Wearne’s sadly closed the Camborne store in order to seek a larger footfall in the seaside town of Falmouth and to concentrate on their Helston store. At this time Wearne’s also entered into the 21st century with a extensive new website in order to seek sales on the world wide web.
Hear the tales of Wearnes history from the beginning in 1890, with Mr Bryan Wearne…